Our catering contract has sustainability at its heart:
Our Procurement Strategy specifies that tenders for our catering supplier have a 15% weighting applied to sustainability criteria and awards marks for 4 key sustainability accreditations.
We are proud of our partnership with pioneering caterers, BaxterStorey, who have sustainability integrated across their business model as well as dedicated staff training.
Our Sustainable Food Policy sets targets on:
- Sourcing of local, free range and organic food
- Provision of fresh, healthy and nutritious food
- Promotion of equality and diversity through culturally varied menus
- Minimising catering waste including disposables and wrapping
We’ve made solid progress so far:
- All campuses and food outlets have Gold Soil Association ‘Food for Life’ Catering Mark
- All fish are purchased from MSC certified supplier M & J Seafoods
- All meats are British and Red Tractor accredited
- All eggs purchased are free range and organic
- A minimum of 82% of dishes are prepared fresh on site
- Over 76% of food offered at each outlet is vegetarian
- Our showcase hospitality menu is 100% locally sourced and home made
- Free drinking water is available at all campuses and refectories
- Our cooking oil is made by pressing rapeseed grown at R-Oil Farms in the Cotswolds.
- 61.5% of all suppliers used are from region or adjacent county
Help us achieve even more:
- Volunteer on our allotments – home grown fruit, salad and herbs are used by our chefs through the year. To find out how contact our Sustainability Engagement Manager
- Think about disposables – bringing your own reusable mugs and water bottles to avoid adding to plastic waste.
- Order hospitality menus that specify only crockery and glass.
- Try veggie and vegan options or different menu choices.
Find out more: