As a multi-campus university spanning sites in Cheltenham and Gloucester, helping students and staff to make smarter travel choices is challenging, but important for us. Smarter travel helps support healthier lifestyles, limit rising pollution, improve air quality in urban areas, and bring down our impact in congestion as well as carbon.
Actions we are taking to support smart travel:
Virtual meetings – all new computers are supplied with built in webcams, speakers and microphones, and Skype is available for all staff. Details here.
Video and teleconferencing technology – currently available in Fullwood House at Park, the Boardroom at Oxstalls and AP012 at Hardwick.
Providing cycling maps – see below for safe routes, distances and journey times between campuses.
Cycle purchasing incentives – bike and accessories for the purpose of travelling to and from work tax free using a salary sacrifice scheme run in conjunction with Cyclescheme, visit the UoG HR pages.
Supplying cycle equipment – staff and students can also buy Sold Secure bicycle locks through the University’s online store.
Discounted bus services – in partnership with Stagecoach Gloucestershire, we offer discounted bus travel around the county for students and staff with a ‘Unirider’ ticket. Annual bus passes can also be purchased through the University’s online shop.
Improving bus services – we worked with Stagecoach to improve the 94U bus route which includes University stops, and is now extended to the new Pittville Student Village.
Rewarding car sharing – reduced price campus parking permits are available for car sharers – costs only £50 (regardless of salaries)
Supporting car shares for staff and students – we have a staff car share scheme and informal students’ car share group on facebook
Moving to support electric vehicles – our on-site estates maintenance vehicle runs on electric and we are exploring options for electric vehicle charging points on our sites.
Help us achieve even more:
- Reduce inter-campus meetings travel – have virtual meetings or phone conversations – find out if you can save time and trouble by joining meetings at other sites via skype
- Try out cycling or upgrade your bike – to buy new or refurbished bikes, or to borrow a bike for up to eight weeks visit the Gloucestershire Bike Project
- Try Gloucestershire car sharing – national scheme Liftshare.com can provide you with local lifts with people working and living near to you
- Walk to work and at work where you can – improve your health and get fresh air if possible by walking – it could improve your thinking and decisions too!
- Take the bus if possible – download the Stagecoach app for journey planning, live bus information and mobile bus tickets.
Safe travel routes between campuses:
Find out more: