Sustainability at your SU
The Students Union works closely to support the University in all its sustainability activities and has had some big successes of its own including:
- Lobbying for full divestment from fossil fuels
- Finalist in the UK Green Gown awards for student sustainability initiatives and campaigns.
- Awarded £289,790 from the NUS Green Fund in 2013 to deliver ‘Greener Gloucestershire’; a 3 year project with 5 strands of student led sustainability activities across campuses and in the community.
Find out more on the sustainability pages of the SU website.
Join the Green Team Society
New in 2017/18, the UniGlos Green Team Society have been making an impact both on and off campus.
In 2018/19 they worked closely with the Estates team to gather data on staff/student recycling behaviours, supported the Plastic Free Cheltenham litter pick, and represented the student voice at the Gloucestershire Climate Summit.
The Green Team waste audit
Nikita, Molly, Nigel Moor and Yolande
In 2019/20, they plan to:
- Develop a communications campaign to reduce waste and increase recycling
- Create a regular podcast with debates and guest speakers on a range of sustainability themes
- Offer sustainability themed film nights
- Champion the student voice on the climate crisis to drive local and global change.
NUS Green Impact
The NUS Green Impact programme is a national accreditation and awards scheme which helps Students’ Unions to improve their sustainability practice. In 2018, our Students’ Union achieved ‘Good’.
This year, they have committed to maintain and improve this standard. Contact Linda Farrall to see how you can help.
Ethical and Environmental Experience Officer
A current student is elected each year as the Ethical and Environment Experience Officer to run campaigns and represent student views on sustainability to the Student’s Union (SU) and University.
They sit on the SU sustainability committee and are supported by the SU CEO, who is responsible for the overall performance of the SU on sustainability.
Contact your Ethical and Environmental Experience Officer here.
Find out how Chloe Bench (Ethical and Environmental Experience Officer 2018-19) encouraged student societies to improve their own sustainability practices here.